Sunday, May 6, 2012

Kaylee's Birthday!!!

After 6 hours of hard, messy, colorful work I finally finished Kaylee's cake.  My original idea was to make it 2 separate cakes, a 1 and an 8.  Once I started to prepare the cake and get all my ingredients together, I reevaluated my plans.  Being able to cover 2 big cakes was just going to be too difficult, so instead made 1 sheet cake with the one and 8 on top in fondant. 

Here is fondant that has been colored green for camo:

frosting a cake before putting fondant on it is important to make sure it sticks and staying in place, and being flat:


Here I used edible spray paint for make the dog tags and later painted on the wording:


Fondant with food coloring:


Slightly mixed fondant, which you twist and kneed until it is fully mixed in:


Fully mixed:


When you roll out fondant you spread flour so it won't stick and you then lay it on the cake and flatten it so it is smooth and cut off the excess fondant:


Four colors of fondant:


I took little pieces of fondant and mushed them together and then rolled them out with a rolling pin to make camo:


THE FINAL PROJECT!!




this is the hardest cake I've ever made.  Making camo was so hard to make it perfect and match up together.  I wish it had more sparkle to it but to me it has so much talent invested into it that it is worth the lack of sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment