Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Girl Scout Cupcakes

This week I've been asked by my Flow Fender, a member the NYPENN Girl Scout Council, to bake and design cupcakes for the Ithaca-Lansing Girl Scout Leader Appreciation Dinner on May 9th.  At first I thought it was sorta of intimidating, but yet it is another opportunity to show my skills, and possibly learn a new technique.  So first things first, what am I going to put on these cupcakes and what recipe will I use?!  I started at by looking through my old badge books, since I've been in Girl Scouts for 13 years now.  I have my badge books from Daisy to Senior Ambassador.  This is the most popular "logo" that has represent Girl Scouts for exactly 100 years now:

The thought of trying to make this by piping it with frosting or even maybe making it out of fondant could take days! It is definitely a challenge and is one of my top choices for the design.  Next I went to girlscouts.org which is the national Girl Scout website, and searched the store to see if i could find any designs that would be perfect on a cupcake.
Through my searches I also found a design similar to the top one but a bit simpler:

Another thought that I had was that a cupcake didn't have to have an elaborate design or even look pretty.  A cupcake is also about tasting yummy.  I have found a lot of recipes that include putting Girl Scout cookies in the cupcake for enhanced flavor, and a complicated recipe.  Sadly, we stopped selling cookies a month ago and I can't get any cookies...from anywhere...unless I want to drive at least 4 hours away.

No comments:

Post a Comment